WordPress, by default, includes a simple robots.txt file that’s dynamically generated from within the WP application. This is great! but maybe you want to change the content.
Enter WP Robots Txt, a plugin that adds an additional field to the “Reading” admin page where you can do just that.
Simply visit https://your-site.com/wp-admin/options-reading.php and you can control the contents of your https://your-site.com/robots.txt
- Download the plugin
- Unzip it
- Upload the unzipped folder to
- Activate and enjoy!
Or you can simply install it through the admin area plugin installer.
I totally screwed up my `robots.txt` file. How can I restore the default version?
Delete all the content from the Robots.txt Content field and save the privacy options.
Could I accidently block all search bots with this?
Yes. Be careful! That said,
robots.txtfiles are suggestions. They don’t really block bots as much as they suggest that bots don’t crawl portions of a site. That’s why the options on the Privacy Settings page say “Ask search engines not to index this site.”
Where can I learn more about `robots.txt` files?
Contributors & Developers
“WP Robots Txt” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Ensure Compatibility with WP v6.3
- Increase PHP minimum required version
- Update the default robots.txt content
- Include sitemap reference
- Resolve code warnings/errors
- WP Coding Standards compliant
- Ensure Compatibility with WP v6
- Moved the settings field “officially” to the reading page
- General code clean up
- Initial version