Simple social sharing plugin that loads the third-party scripts asynchronously
and after the page loads to improve site performance.
The plugin provides settings to load any of the following sharing widgets:
- Hacker News
Available display options include ability to display the sharing widgets on
above or below content on pages, specific custom post types or blog and archive pages.
Why is Asynchronous script loading better?
Asynchronous loading allows multiple files to load parallel to each other.
Instead of having to wait for Twitter to respond with their script, the browser
moves on and starts fetching the next request.
- WordPress 3.5+
- Content worth sharing
- Submit a pull request on Github
Upcoming Versions Wishlist
- Allow re-arranging of social widgets
- Inspired by Stoyan Stefanov’s blog post “Social Button BFFs”
- HackerNews button code by Ilya Grigorik
- Fixed bug where plugin would cause a fatal error for PHP 5.2 and under by
changing class initialization process.
- Added minor style fix for Facebook sharing widget alignment.
async_social_display()function to be used as a template tag to output
the social sharing widgets anywhere theme developers desire within the loop.
- Added option to allow site administrators to enter their Facebook Application
- Added option allowing site administrators to choose if the social sharing
widgets should be output before or after the content. props @dustyf
- Changed settings screen to use WordPress default admin styles to fix checkbox
display in WordPress 3.8+.
- Removed bloated admin stylesheet.
- Minor refactoring of plugin instance loading.
- Minor code formatting changes.
- Fixed bug where “headers already sent” message was displayed upon plugin
activation due to blank line at top of main plugin file.
- Enabled automatic plugin updates for WordPress 3.7 users.
- Added option to display or hide sharing widgets from posts.
- Restructured file organization.
- Tested compatibility with 3.7
- Fixed bug where previous plugin users could not disable the css without
removing and then re-adding the plugin.
- Updated compatibility to support 3.5
- Fixed bug where widgets were not displaying on pages if option was specified.
- Fixed bug where CSS styles for previous installations was still loading,
even though the option to disable was selected.
- Expanded post-type multi-selection box area on plugin options page.
- Added instructions for selecting multiple post types from plugin options page.
- Tested with WordPress 3.5 RC2
- Added option to prevent default CSS stylesheet from loading.
- Fixed bug where PHP Exception was thrown if post types array was empty.
- Tested with WordPress 3.5 Beta 3
Fixed bug that would cause content in RSS feeds to not display.
Fixed bug where PHP Exception was thrown on pages if the display options were
- Added ability to display social widgets on pages.
- Added ability to select which custom post types will display the social
async-share.jsfile. Now only the external social scripts that are
selected to be displayed will be loaded.
- Improved display styles for social widgets.
- Combined function for plugin’s script and style loading.
- Fixed bug that was generating a PHP error when no options were set.
- Tested with WordPress 3.4.1
- Added Display Options to plugin to allow sharing widgets to be displayed on
blog and archive pages.
- Fixed bug with Facebook
fb-rootdiv not being detected before script loaded.
- Updated license to GPLv3
- Added lazy loading to async-share.js
- Fixed issue with plugin settings link
- Initial release
- Upload Async Social Sharing to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Follow the ‘Settings’ link to select which social sharing widgets to display
on your site.
- Write good content.
Contributors & Developers
“Async Social Sharing” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Async Social Sharing” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.